& from Thursday 24th – Sunday 27th February 2022.
Traffic restrictions will be in place in some areas of Derry's City Centre over the coming days as the Illuminate Festival lights up the city with multi-media installations, music and performance across some of the city's most iconic sites.
It's a festival first for the City, and visitors will be invited to follow an animated trail bringing the story of Derry to life, from Colmcille's first monastic settlement to present day, running from Thursday 17th – Sunday 20th February & from Thursday 24th – Sunday 27th February 2022.
In order to successfully deliver this event road closures and traffic diversions will be in place throughout the festival. Alternative routes will be signposted in accordance with the Traffic Management Plan and in agreement with the Department of Infrastructure to notify motorists of the traffic diversion.
In the interest of safety, the following roads will be closed to traffic or have traffic restrictions in place for the event between the hours of 4pm and midnight:
- Fahan Street, Butcher Street,
- Waterloo Street impacting Harvey Street & High Street,
- Union Hall Place/ Magazine Street, Castle Gate
- Bishop Gate/Bishop Street Within, Palace Street, Society Street, (Society Street Car Park will be closed all day).
- London Street leading to Pump Street,
- Ferryquay Street, Artillery Street, Market Street, New Market Street,
- Orchard Street Lane Closure
- During these hours' access and egress from Bishop Street Carpark will be via Bishop Gate only
Road closures and diversions will be kept to the minimum length necessary to ensure safety but motorists are advised that there may be delays.
Drivers are reminded that normal on street parking restrictions will be in place and that they should avoid parking anywhere they may be blocking entrances to residences or businesses or where they may be obstructing emergency access.
More information on the trail and the programme of music events taking place www.IlluminateDerry.com